I found Nancy Atwell’s chapter on “minilessons” to be quite the valuable resource for someone just beginning to embark on her journey to becoming a teacher. Not only does Atwell explain that the significance of minilessons is to introduce and reinforce reading and writing concepts, information, and mechanics, but this chapter is like the minilesson equivalent of El Dorado. By drawing upon her own experiences, she presents countless lists of examples for teaching topics in the four major minilesson divisions she defines as procedural, literary craft, conventions of written language, and good reader strategy (1998, p. 153-154). Breaking up the minilessons into these four categories is quite helpful in determining the needs of students because thought students might not necessarily need instruction for all the minilessons Atwell describes, keeping a list of categorized minilessons will help when the need does arise. Need surfaces when the students begin having difficulty with standard conventions of the English subject. For example, I certainly remember my high school teachers addressing the problems of semi-colon usage or comma splices to our class a few days after we passed in essays. Assessment helps teachers determine the need for minilessons and in return, the minilessons help clarify particular trouble areas for students.
I especially appreciated Atwell’s understanding that one main purpose of minilessons is to explain the functions of topics in writing (1998). She encourages us to think of minilessons in a formulaic manner: “how ______ helps readers make sense of a text” (p. 152). If students can learn why a certain aspect is important for the writer’s audience, then they not only become better writers, but more mindful readers as well. Personally, I became a better writer when I became a more attentive reader and only then did I develop a strong appreciation for the written word. It is my job to help my students realize this as well.
Atwell’s approach to minilessons fits solidly into Arthur Applebee’s “Structured Process Approach” to teaching writing described by Smagorinsky et al. in The Dynamics of Writing Instruction (2010). According to Applebee, learning is a process and it is the teacher’s role to facilitate the principles in this process by adding structure (2010). Atwell’s minilessons provide structured instruction for the students based not only on teacher instruction, but on activities, group work, application, and communication. The Structured Process Approach encompasses and encourages all these aspects and stresses the significance of each in the learning process.
To me, the most striking aspect of Atwell’s extensive chapter on minilessons was her insistence that her lessons become driven by the needs of her students. Early in the chapter, she states that her initial minilessons come from her own “inside knowledge of writing and reading,” casting her in the role of the “experienced reader and writer imparting practical information to… younger, less experienced readers and writers” (151). In this case she is the clear authority dictating the agenda. Ideas for lessons eventually come “directly from students’ writing” (188), however. While she is still the clear authority in the classroom, the content is now dictated by the needs of the class and the individual students. This appeals to me because Atwell is clearly thinking about her responsibilities as a teacher in a particular moment and across her career. The needs of each student differ, but so do the needs of each class. I like the implication that we as teachers can’t always follow a routine from year to year. We need to adapt our methods to what the students in front of us need, even if it requires a break with what we have done in previous years. Smagorinsky et al. also encompass the same idea in their Compendium of Structured Process Instruction, saying , “the teacher’s role is to orchestrate student activity rather than lecture… or leave students to their own devices” (22). When I reflect on my own experience in school, my best teachers followed this approach, though I didn’t know it at the time.
It's also heartening to see how many of Atwell’s lessons revolve around fostering a love of reading. Her emphasis on helping students “become real readers for a lifetime,” “discover books [they] love,” and “have vicarious experiences” (203) was pleasantly surprising. At times it seems like our test-driven education system is destroying any hope for emotional engagement with books. From what I’ve noticed working in schools, books are treated like a chore for many students. They find it risible that anyone would prefer reading a book to playing a video game or watching television. This is a trend that worries me, but it’s comforting to see Atwell tackle that issue directly via writing and reading workshops. Creating a love of reading is one of the least tangible results of teaching English, but it might be the most important. Atwell wants to create not only a skilled reader, but a happy one as well.
I really appreciated the chapter on minilessons in Atwell’s In the Middle. These minilessons create excellent opportunities to demonstrate new concepts at the beginning of each class. For me, they seem to provide a few minutes where the class can confer on the theme topic for the day. These minilessons can also address the areas in which students need reinforcement. I especially liked the examples of minilessons included throughout the chapter. When I become a teacher, this will be an excellent resource for generating lesson plans and addressing craft and content. I think allowing students to conduct the minilessons themselves will also be highly beneficial for the class.
Atwell also discussed the importance of routines in conjunction with minilessons. Atwell states, “Once they know what to do, usually by the first week of October, they can regulate how they use time in the workshop and stay on-task” (p. 154). By establishing minilesson routines, students use their time more effectively and teachers are able to accomplish much more. These routines make the classroom much more organized while still allowing room for spontaneity and teachable moments.
I thought the process of writing highlighted in The Dynamics of Writing Instruction was helpful, however the example used was not particularly effective for our area, the region of greater Lowell in particular. The example about choosing a restaurant for a dinner party, though it could be considered a “real-world problem,” just didn’t seem to be an incredibly relatable example for me or for students. I would use the process expressed in this chapter because I believe that presenting students with a problem will allow them to solve it through their writing. However, I believe I would use an example with which students would be able to connect. I would probably use a similar scenario, but set it up as though students have to pick a location for prom, a destination for a field trip, or a venue for a graduation party. Then using a similar process, I would have students address a letter discussing their choices to the administration or school board. I think students will be much more likely to connect to these types of “problems” or situations compared to planning a dinner party as if they were 30-year-olds.
For an aspiring teacher, Nancy Atwell’s chapter on “Minilessons” is as valuable as it is informative. For me, the most significant part of this chapter is the idea that writing is a process that is distinctive to each individual, and that we should teach our students about “the things writers do” (157). As we all learn in our own ways, we all write in our own ways as well, and lessons that attempt to shape writers into crafting ‘the right way’ risk being ineffective for some, if not most students. Smagorinsky touches upon the same concept in the “Structured Process Approach,” stating that “there are many writing processes, and skillful writers know how to vary their procedures for writing to suit the situation and the task” (21). Rather than struggle to maintain the attention of an entire class through monotonous lessons on what is grammatically correct, teachers can use good writing samples to demonstrate the many ways that writers create. Atwell focuses on “interesting and effective choices, breakthroughs, changes, risks, experiments, and decisions that others can learn from” (152). Teaching students how to write becomes a communal process, where a group of writers share ideas and gather inspiration from one another. As Smagorinsky states, “students learn to write by talking, as well as by writing” (23).
In addition to practicing their own craft of writing, writers need to spend time reading good writing. Atwell recognizes the common trend of students becomes bored and discouraged by reading, and her solution is to give students the tools they need to be successful readers who enjoy the process and appreciate good writing (201). When students learn to “recognize and internalize the strategies of good readers,” reading becomes the “joyous” process that it should be (201). Just like the writing process, Atwell makes the reading process communal – a shared experience amongst readers where knowledge and ideas circulate. I particularly appreciate Atwell’s minilessons on “metacognition” (211). When readers understand and appreciate how they read, they come to read more deeply and critically.
I just have to start off by saying that I loved the quote at the beginning of chapter 6: "Don't say the old lady screamed. Bring her on and let her scream." Mark Twain (Atwell, 148).
Minilessons are one of my favorite things when it comes to teaching. Seeing a chapter entirely dedicated to minilessons was encouraging. There are minilessons for minilessons in here. The sections had great reminders for what teachers should be sure they are talking about when it comes to writing, like what good titles do (Atwell, 164).I liked reading about what a thesaurus is. I know what it is, but I and I’m sure my future students will misuse it initially. When writing I always try to use fancier words than I can initially come up with, which isn't always the best thing to do. The important thing to keep in mind is to make sure we understand the word we are trying to put in, not that we’re trying to sound smarter than we are. We can look real silly real quick if we plug in a word that we don’t understand but we think sounds good.(Atwell, 174). But by far the best thing about this chapter, and what will probably be this whole book, is that it will be a great resource to turn to as we meet our students and learn what their writing needs are.
Smagorinsky’s general principles of the structured process approach for teaching writing are definitely points to keep in mind. It’s a great list to have when planning activities in the classroom. I like that many of the principles pretty much guarantee student involvement (Smagorinsky, 20-24). I imagine it might be rough getting the class started at sharing work and talking about their work together, but once you get past that awkward bump I think we are lined up for a great class. I’ve had many great experiences in writing classes where almost all students were happy to be there and more than willing to learn and share their work. The Anniversary Dinner example provided in this chapter is great as well. It’s a simple task that most students will be able to relate to identify with. It also provides an example for teachers about how to set up the assignment and present it to the class, which is essential (Smagorinsky, 26).
We All Skim When I opened In the Middle, I groaned. The chapter was so long! Before I began reading I quickly came up with a strategy of how to read the chapter based on the length, the headings, and a few sentences I spotted here and there. It wasn’t until I actually started reading that I realized Atwell and I thought a lot alike. I was particularly drawn to her theories of teaching writing, peer feedback, and how to read. Prior to reading In the Middle, I had heard all the stereotypical academic lectures on how to write properly or how to be a good reader. Like a good student, I had always listened, but like a rebel I silently discarded everything I was told. Like Atwell discusses, everyone develops their own reading strategies. Her list of mini lesson topics for reading was eye opening. She teaches her students about skimming and even skipping! I was flabbergasted. I was excited. I do not believe in most reading strategies in circulation today. I think making students read to locate main ideas and supporting detail is the very reason why so many students hate reading. It is tedious and boring. It does not show students how individual and exciting reading can be at times.
I similarly found her lessons on writing to be equally satisfying. I have never been one to follow the standard conventions of writing. I have never believed in one style or form of proper writing. Her section on writing mini lessons was a breath of fresh air. She encourages her kids to find their own style while also teaching them about proper grammar. She is a realistic teacher: “Teachers need to remember that conventions were invented by writers, not handed down by God or English teachers” (184). I think she is making a really important point here. In academia, we have a tendency to cling to rules and regulations, conventions, and standards. It gives us some sort of basis for our own development and study but we forget that high school students are just starting out. They are just discovering how they like to read and what they like to read. They are just learning that they like to write essays more than poetry or they like to use a lot of description. Despite the fact that they are in the academic world, sticking to closely to standard practices can stifle their learning and their creativity. Like Atwell, we need to free ourselves from the strict confines of academic conventions and allow our students to discover themselves through reading and writing. A great teacher will have academic practices in mind as she plans but will also allow for students to make discoveries on their own.
I really enjoyed both chapters for this week’s reading. Both Atwell and Applebee give some great incites on how to approach writing with students. The many hundreds of mini lessons that are listed by Atwell are a treasure trove for future teachers like myself. I especially agree with her section on “Lessons About Strategies for Reading.” As she mentions, there is so much bad advice circulating out there for beginner or troubled readers: slow down, look up words you do not understand, etc. She mentions how these steps can make reading miserable, which is exactly how I felt in elementary school when some of my teachers wanted PROOF of these steps (can you imagine?). So as I kept reading I enjoyed the point she makes about a good reader getting information from the short-term to the long-term memory. “A slow or beginning reader is trying to get four or five letters or words through short-term memory. The fluent reader is getting four or five rich, relevant chunks of meaning (phrases, for example) through the bottleneck. Again, only four or five elements will get through…” (Atwell, 1998, p. 204). No matter how good or bad of a reader you are, you are still bringing IN information to your long-term memory. The more you try the better you’ll get and the more information you’ll learn. I just thought this was a really interesting piece of information especially considering how related reading and writing can be. By reading and writing students can keep working on that transfer from short-term to long-term memory. As for Smagorinsky and his chapter on Applebee’s “Structured Approach to Teaching Writing,” I loved the project example they structured for us. I think that this is a great way for students to use their knowledge in so many different areas: math for the price per person, people skills, health knowledge, etc. A teacher could also ask students to find restaurants in their neighborhoods to make it more personal and hands on. The project gives students so many ways to expand their knowledge and tap into their prior knowledge, as well as see where they are as writers. The different principals that Smagorinsky suggested are ones that I feel students deserve. For example, having open-ended writing and their being able to share work and learn from one another. Each of these and the other ones that were listed are all so important for students to experience.
I found Nancy Atwell’s chapter on “minilessons” to be quite the valuable resource for someone just beginning to embark on her journey to becoming a teacher. Not only does Atwell explain that the significance of minilessons is to introduce and reinforce reading and writing concepts, information, and mechanics, but this chapter is like the minilesson equivalent of El Dorado. By drawing upon her own experiences, she presents countless lists of examples for teaching topics in the four major minilesson divisions she defines as procedural, literary craft, conventions of written language, and good reader strategy (1998, p. 153-154). Breaking up the minilessons into these four categories is quite helpful in determining the needs of students because thought students might not necessarily need instruction for all the minilessons Atwell describes, keeping a list of categorized minilessons will help when the need does arise. Need surfaces when the students begin having difficulty with standard conventions of the English subject. For example, I certainly remember my high school teachers addressing the problems of semi-colon usage or comma splices to our class a few days after we passed in essays. Assessment helps teachers determine the need for minilessons and in return, the minilessons help clarify particular trouble areas for students.
ReplyDeleteI especially appreciated Atwell’s understanding that one main purpose of minilessons is to explain the functions of topics in writing (1998). She encourages us to think of minilessons in a formulaic manner: “how ______ helps readers make sense of a text” (p. 152). If students can learn why a certain aspect is important for the writer’s audience, then they not only become better writers, but more mindful readers as well. Personally, I became a better writer when I became a more attentive reader and only then did I develop a strong appreciation for the written word. It is my job to help my students realize this as well.
Atwell’s approach to minilessons fits solidly into Arthur Applebee’s “Structured Process Approach” to teaching writing described by Smagorinsky et al. in The Dynamics of Writing Instruction (2010). According to Applebee, learning is a process and it is the teacher’s role to facilitate the principles in this process by adding structure (2010). Atwell’s minilessons provide structured instruction for the students based not only on teacher instruction, but on activities, group work, application, and communication. The Structured Process Approach encompasses and encourages all these aspects and stresses the significance of each in the learning process.
To me, the most striking aspect of Atwell’s extensive chapter on minilessons was her insistence that her lessons become driven by the needs of her students. Early in the chapter, she states that her initial minilessons come from her own “inside knowledge of writing and reading,” casting her in the role of the “experienced reader and writer imparting practical information to… younger, less experienced readers and writers” (151). In this case she is the clear authority dictating the agenda. Ideas for lessons eventually come “directly from students’ writing” (188), however. While she is still the clear authority in the classroom, the content is now dictated by the needs of the class and the individual students. This appeals to me because Atwell is clearly thinking about her responsibilities as a teacher in a particular moment and across her career. The needs of each student differ, but so do the needs of each class. I like the implication that we as teachers can’t always follow a routine from year to year. We need to adapt our methods to what the students in front of us need, even if it requires a break with what we have done in previous years. Smagorinsky et al. also encompass the same idea in their Compendium of Structured Process Instruction, saying , “the teacher’s role is to orchestrate student activity rather than lecture… or leave students to their own devices” (22). When I reflect on my own experience in school, my best teachers followed this approach, though I didn’t know it at the time.
ReplyDeleteIt's also heartening to see how many of Atwell’s lessons revolve around fostering a love of reading. Her emphasis on helping students “become real readers for a lifetime,” “discover books [they] love,” and “have vicarious experiences” (203) was pleasantly surprising. At times it seems like our test-driven education system is destroying any hope for emotional engagement with books. From what I’ve noticed working in schools, books are treated like a chore for many students. They find it risible that anyone would prefer reading a book to playing a video game or watching television. This is a trend that worries me, but it’s comforting to see Atwell tackle that issue directly via writing and reading workshops. Creating a love of reading is one of the least tangible results of teaching English, but it might be the most important. Atwell wants to create not only a skilled reader, but a happy one as well.
I really appreciated the chapter on minilessons in Atwell’s In the Middle. These minilessons create excellent opportunities to demonstrate new concepts at the beginning of each class. For me, they seem to provide a few minutes where the class can confer on the theme topic for the day. These minilessons can also address the areas in which students need reinforcement. I especially liked the examples of minilessons included throughout the chapter. When I become a teacher, this will be an excellent resource for generating lesson plans and addressing craft and content. I think allowing students to conduct the minilessons themselves will also be highly beneficial for the class.
ReplyDeleteAtwell also discussed the importance of routines in conjunction with minilessons. Atwell states, “Once they know what to do, usually by the first week of October, they can regulate how they use time in the workshop and stay on-task” (p. 154). By establishing minilesson routines, students use their time more effectively and teachers are able to accomplish much more. These routines make the classroom much more organized while still allowing room for spontaneity and teachable moments.
I thought the process of writing highlighted in The Dynamics of Writing Instruction was helpful, however the example used was not particularly effective for our area, the region of greater Lowell in particular. The example about choosing a restaurant for a dinner party, though it could be considered a “real-world problem,” just didn’t seem to be an incredibly relatable example for me or for students. I would use the process expressed in this chapter because I believe that presenting students with a problem will allow them to solve it through their writing. However, I believe I would use an example with which students would be able to connect. I would probably use a similar scenario, but set it up as though students have to pick a location for prom, a destination for a field trip, or a venue for a graduation party. Then using a similar process, I would have students address a letter discussing their choices to the administration or school board. I think students will be much more likely to connect to these types of “problems” or situations compared to planning a dinner party as if they were 30-year-olds.
For an aspiring teacher, Nancy Atwell’s chapter on “Minilessons” is as valuable as it is informative. For me, the most significant part of this chapter is the idea that writing is a process that is distinctive to each individual, and that we should teach our students about “the things writers do” (157). As we all learn in our own ways, we all write in our own ways as well, and lessons that attempt to shape writers into crafting ‘the right way’ risk being ineffective for some, if not most students. Smagorinsky touches upon the same concept in the “Structured Process Approach,” stating that “there are many writing processes, and skillful writers know how to vary their procedures for writing to suit the situation and the task” (21). Rather than struggle to maintain the attention of an entire class through monotonous lessons on what is grammatically correct, teachers can use good writing samples to demonstrate the many ways that writers create. Atwell focuses on “interesting and effective choices, breakthroughs, changes, risks, experiments, and decisions that others can learn from” (152). Teaching students how to write becomes a communal process, where a group of writers share ideas and gather inspiration from one another. As Smagorinsky states, “students learn to write by talking, as well as by writing” (23).
ReplyDeleteIn addition to practicing their own craft of writing, writers need to spend time reading good writing. Atwell recognizes the common trend of students becomes bored and discouraged by reading, and her solution is to give students the tools they need to be successful readers who enjoy the process and appreciate good writing (201). When students learn to “recognize and internalize the strategies of good readers,” reading becomes the “joyous” process that it should be (201). Just like the writing process, Atwell makes the reading process communal – a shared experience amongst readers where knowledge and ideas circulate. I particularly appreciate Atwell’s minilessons on “metacognition” (211). When readers understand and appreciate how they read, they come to read more deeply and critically.
I just have to start off by saying that I loved the quote at the beginning of chapter 6: "Don't say the old lady screamed. Bring her on and let her scream." Mark Twain (Atwell, 148).
ReplyDeleteMinilessons are one of my favorite things when it comes to teaching. Seeing a chapter entirely dedicated to minilessons was encouraging. There are minilessons for minilessons in here. The sections had great reminders for what teachers should be sure they are talking about when it comes to writing, like what good titles do (Atwell, 164).I liked reading about what a thesaurus is. I know what it is, but I and I’m sure my future students will misuse it initially. When writing I always try to use fancier words than I can initially come up with, which isn't always the best thing to do. The important thing to keep in mind is to make sure we understand the word we are trying to put in, not that we’re trying to sound smarter than we are. We can look real silly real quick if we plug in a word that we don’t understand but we think sounds good.(Atwell, 174). But by far the best thing about this chapter, and what will probably be this whole book, is that it will be a great resource to turn to as we meet our students and learn what their writing needs are.
Smagorinsky’s general principles of the structured process approach for teaching writing are definitely points to keep in mind. It’s a great list to have when planning activities in the classroom. I like that many of the principles pretty much guarantee student involvement (Smagorinsky, 20-24). I imagine it might be rough getting the class started at sharing work and talking about their work together, but once you get past that awkward bump I think we are lined up for a great class. I’ve had many great experiences in writing classes where almost all students were happy to be there and more than willing to learn and share their work. The Anniversary Dinner example provided in this chapter is great as well. It’s a simple task that most students will be able to relate to identify with. It also provides an example for teachers about how to set up the assignment and present it to the class, which is essential (Smagorinsky, 26).
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteWe All Skim
ReplyDeleteWhen I opened In the Middle, I groaned. The chapter was so long! Before I began reading I quickly came up with a strategy of how to read the chapter based on the length, the headings, and a few sentences I spotted here and there. It wasn’t until I actually started reading that I realized Atwell and I thought a lot alike. I was particularly drawn to her theories of teaching writing, peer feedback, and how to read. Prior to reading In the Middle, I had heard all the stereotypical academic lectures on how to write properly or how to be a good reader. Like a good student, I had always listened, but like a rebel I silently discarded everything I was told. Like Atwell discusses, everyone develops their own reading strategies. Her list of mini lesson topics for reading was eye opening. She teaches her students about skimming and even skipping! I was flabbergasted. I was excited. I do not believe in most reading strategies in circulation today. I think making students read to locate main ideas and supporting detail is the very reason why so many students hate reading. It is tedious and boring. It does not show students how individual and exciting reading can be at times.
I similarly found her lessons on writing to be equally satisfying. I have never been one to follow the standard conventions of writing. I have never believed in one style or form of proper writing. Her section on writing mini lessons was a breath of fresh air. She encourages her kids to find their own style while also teaching them about proper grammar. She is a realistic teacher: “Teachers need to remember that conventions were invented by writers, not handed down by God or English teachers” (184). I think she is making a really important point here. In academia, we have a tendency to cling to rules and regulations, conventions, and standards. It gives us some sort of basis for our own development and study but we forget that high school students are just starting out. They are just discovering how they like to read and what they like to read. They are just learning that they like to write essays more than poetry or they like to use a lot of description. Despite the fact that they are in the academic world, sticking to closely to standard practices can stifle their learning and their creativity. Like Atwell, we need to free ourselves from the strict confines of academic conventions and allow our students to discover themselves through reading and writing. A great teacher will have academic practices in mind as she plans but will also allow for students to make discoveries on their own.
I really enjoyed both chapters for this week’s reading. Both Atwell and Applebee give some great incites on how to approach writing with students.
ReplyDeleteThe many hundreds of mini lessons that are listed by Atwell are a treasure trove for future teachers like myself. I especially agree with her section on “Lessons About Strategies for Reading.” As she mentions, there is so much bad advice circulating out there for beginner or troubled readers: slow down, look up words you do not understand, etc. She mentions how these steps can make reading miserable, which is exactly how I felt in elementary school when some of my teachers wanted PROOF of these steps (can you imagine?).
So as I kept reading I enjoyed the point she makes about a good reader getting information from the short-term to the long-term memory. “A slow or beginning reader is trying to get four or five letters or words through short-term memory. The fluent reader is getting four or five rich, relevant chunks of meaning (phrases, for example) through the bottleneck. Again, only four or five elements will get through…” (Atwell, 1998, p. 204). No matter how good or bad of a reader you are, you are still bringing IN information to your long-term memory. The more you try the better you’ll get and the more information you’ll learn. I just thought this was a really interesting piece of information especially considering how related reading and writing can be. By reading and writing students can keep working on that transfer from short-term to long-term memory.
As for Smagorinsky and his chapter on Applebee’s “Structured Approach to Teaching Writing,” I loved the project example they structured for us. I think that this is a great way for students to use their knowledge in so many different areas: math for the price per person, people skills, health knowledge, etc. A teacher could also ask students to find restaurants in their neighborhoods to make it more personal and hands on. The project gives students so many ways to expand their knowledge and tap into their prior knowledge, as well as see where they are as writers.
The different principals that Smagorinsky suggested are ones that I feel students deserve. For example, having open-ended writing and their being able to share work and learn from one another. Each of these and the other ones that were listed are all so important for students to experience.